Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (away until 10 July) / Sets / Churches, cathedrals & chapels
Baz Richardson / 1,036 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

There has probably been a small Celtic church on this site since the 6th century AD. Zennor is on the Penwith peninsula in the far west of Cornwall, near St Ives. The circular graveyard is an Iron Age site. The earliest record of the present building dates from 1150.

Tags:   Cornwall churches Penwith peninsula Zennor St Senara's Church

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The medieval bench ends were carved over 500 years ago and are linked to the legend of the chorister, Matthew Trewhella. It is said he was lured into the sea at Pendour Cove by the mermaid, who came into the church to hear his beautiful singing.

When Cornish mystery plays were performed in the Middle Ages the mermaid was used as a symbol to explain the two natures of Christ - God and Man. Several Cornish churches have mermaid frescoes, but this is the only carving.

Tags:   Cornwall churches Zennor St Senara's Church Penwith peninsula Medieval Mermaid Chair mermaid

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Off Marazion, near Penzance in west Cornwall, St Michael's Mount features both a small castle and a priory. It is considerably smaller than its "twin" - Mont St Michel in Normandy, but is nonetheless most impressive. In the 18th century St Michael's Mount was a very important port. In ancient times it is believed to have been some six miles from the sea. The (subsequently) sunken kingdom of Lyonesse is part of folklore.

Tags:   Cornwall seaside medieval buildings castles priory coast St Michael's Mount Mounts Bay

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

These chapel ruins - St Helen's Oratory - are on the headland at Cape Cornwall, a few miles from Lands End. The land is owned by the National Trust.

Tags:   Cornwall chapels coast cliffs Cape Cornwall St Helen's Oratory Christian chapel ruins of a chapel National Trust ColorPhotoAward

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Off Marazion, near Penzance in west Cornwall, St Michael's Mount features both a castle and a priory. It is considerably smaller than its "twin" - Mont St Michel in Normandy, but is nonetheless most impressive. The church was built on the summit of the island after the Norman invasion when St Michael’s Mount was granted to the Benedictine Abbey of Mont St Michel in France.

The island was once a thriving port for the booming tin industry. Around two thousand years ago trading ships sailed into the Mount’s harbour and exported Cornish tin to the rest of Europe.

The Mount has survived sieges and battles throughout the ages. In 1193, it was seized by Henry La Pomeray, who disguised his men as pilgrims. In 1473, during the War of the Roses, the Earl of Oxford held the island under siege for six months. In 1588, it was on St Michael’s Mount that the first beacon was lit to warn of the arrival of the Spanish Armada. And during the Civil War, between 1642 and 1646, Royalists valiantly held the Mount against the forces of Oliver Cromwell.

Tags:   Cornwall seaside coast beaches St Michael's Mount Cornish harbours


0.5%