Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Baz Richardson (catching up)
Baz Richardson / 10,433 items

N 341 B 53.4K C 51 E May 13, 2020 F May 14, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

With the easing of restrictions yesterday, we decided to take some exercise in the adjacent county of Rutland. I know two other places called Seaton, and they are on the coast of Devon and Cornwall. But this one is about as far from the sea as you can get. The beautiful little county of Rutland is in the centre of England, bordered by Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire. It has just two towns - Oakham and Uppingham - and has some of the prettiest countryside in England. The pretty little village of Seaton is on the side of the Welland Valley on the south side of the county, and has a population of less than 200. The Grade II-listed Church of All Hallows dates from the 12th century.

Tags:   Rutland Seaton English villages Welland Valley countryside country roads Explored iPhone

N 549 B 57.0K C 72 E May 29, 2019 F Apr 27, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

One from last year's archives both to provide a bit of variety and to remind us of a very enjoyable stay in the north of England. In fact, we stayed in north Lancashire which is a great base for visiting both the Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales.

The beautiful village of Dent gives its name to Dent Dale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The village was once part of Yorkshire's West Riding, but was transferred to Cumbria in 1974. It is the only village in Dent Dale.

This was first settled in the 10th century when Norse invaders first entered the dale. The dale was also known to the Romans although there is no evidence of settlement during that period. The dale was one of the last of the Yorkshire Dales to be Enclosed in 1859. The typical occupations in the dale were farming and worsted related. Several mills used the fast flowing waters of the River Dee to supply power to the mills. At least one of these was converted to the Dent Marble industry by 1810.

Tags:   Cumbria Yorkshire Dales National Park Dent Dent Dale villages cobbled streets street scenes Explored

N 350 B 20.7K C 55 E May 29, 2019 F Apr 12, 2020
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Here's a shot from the archives, taken in the spring of 2019 when we visited the Yorkshire Dales.

Although the village of Dent is within the Yorkshire Dales National Park it is in Cumbria rather than North Yorkshire. Originally it was in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but was transferred to Cumbria when the boundaries changed in 1974. The village is the only one in Dentdale, which is reckoned to be the finest dale in Cumbria.

The late 17th century cottages in the picture look on to the churchyard and the wonderful 12th century Church of St Andrew. The whitewashed building in front of us has a date stone of 1690, while the cottage on the right, West View, is one of a pair dating from a similar time. Cobble Cottage to its right, is out of shot. They are Grade II-listed.

Tags:   Cumbria Yorkshire Dales National Park Dentdale Dent villages cottages Grade II-listed buildings 17th century architecture West View Cottage, Dent Explored cobbles

N 343 B 18.4K C 49 E Nov 15, 2019 F Nov 26, 2019
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

The National Trust's Goodameavy Estate on the south-west side of the Dartmoor National Park is where the River Plym tumbles off Dartmoor and joins up with the River Meavy. It then makes its way to the sea at Plymouth. The footbridge provides access to the Goodameavy Estate from the car park at Shaugh Bridge.

This south-west corner of Dartmoor near the village of Shaugh Prior has a rich industrial history with numerous remains of buildings associated with old tin mines, quarries and china clay workings.


Tags:   Devon Dartmoor Shaugh Prior National Trust Goodameavy Estate River Plym rapids footbridges rivers Explored

N 70 B 3.6K C 28 E Aug 20, 2019 F Aug 31, 2019
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

This shot was taken a short distance from the village of North Hill, on the heavily wooded eastern flank of Bodmin Moor, seen in the distance. The River Lynher, which flows through the valley below, rises near Five Lanes, some four or five miles north-west of here. The Lynher flows mainly south-east for some 20 miles before being joined by the River Tiddy near St Germans. It then joins the River Tamar just below Saltash.

Tags:   Cornwall Bodmin Moor North Hill countryside River Lynher woods trees fields landscapes farm gates footpaths


5 of 10,433