This southern arm of the famous medieval Cobb at Lyme Regis in west Dorset was added in the 1690s and rebuilt in 1793 after it was destroyed in a storm the previous year. It was reconstructed in 1820 using Portland stone. The Cobb features in the 1981 film “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”. In his later years the author of the original book, John Fowles, worked as the curator at the town’s museum. In the distance can be seen the cliffs of the Jurassic coast, which stretches from Swanage in the east to Exmouth in the west.