The New Inn at Stowe was built by Lord Cobham in 1717-1721. In the 18th century it accommodated wealthy visitors to the beautiful landscaped gardens, and – typically – combined a working farm as part of the inn complex. By the mid-19th century the aristocratic and gentry visitors had gone, and the inn became a social focus for local farmers. In 1856 it ceased to be an inn and retreated to a domestic accommodation and farming role. It is now managed by the National Trust, and several of the rooms are open to the public. A new extension forms the entrance to Stowe Landscape Gardens.