Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / SkyeWeasel
1,391 items

N 66 B 548 C 22 E May 17, 2024 F May 21, 2024
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Having walked past The Prison feature in the Quiraing on numerous occasions, I thought it might be interesting to get onto it somehow. So off we went, with a favourable forecast for the north of Skye, only to find the Quiraing obscured by thick mist. But off we went anyway starting from below the main tourist path, figuring it wouldn't be too difficult to find The Prison once we got closer. But the mist magnified every small boulder in the rocky mess of the landscape, using the map was useless. After wandering about for some while, we gave in and checked the GPS - using the grid reference and my map we discovered we were exactly where I wanted to be, possibly more by luck than by my skill as a navigator in these conditions. I scrambled up to the edge and could look down on the main path below, just able to make it out to confirm our location - would have been a nice view of the Needle. Might need to try this again when it would be possible to see where you are going!

Tags:   Scotland Skye Quiraing Prison landscape mist

N 98 B 1.4K C 78 E May 15, 2024 F May 18, 2024
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

It's midnight at the vegetable patch, and Brian looks like he could be getting himself into a bit of trouble...

I hasten to point out that I do not own any slug pellets (I prefer to make use of a relocation technique) - these were borrowed from a neighbour who's love for snails in no way matches mine.

For Macro Mondays theme 'Hazard'. This is a tiny juvenile snail, shell just over 1 cm, so the image spans about 7 cm.

The old blue-coloured slug pellets, made using metaldehyde, have been illegal to use since April 2020 due to their serious risk to birds and mammals such as pets and hedgehogs. The pellets shown contain 1% ferric phosphate, the other 99% is a cereal 'filler' that the snails love to eat. When the snails ingest these, they become poisoned by the iron they contain - this results in damage to their digestive systems and the snails die slowly over several days - must be unpleasant! These pellets would need to be ingested in excess in order to be toxic, but the label on the bottle gives all the usual safety warnings about using pesticides (AVOID ALL CONTACT BY MOUTH AND KEEP OFF SKIN. DO NOT BREATHE DUST. WASH HANDS AFTER USE. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS, etc.)

Despite the fact that my bok choi plants are clearly being enjoyed by snails (they were caught in the act), I would never use pellets.

No snails were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Tags:   Macro Mondays Hazard macro animal invertebrate mollusc gastropod snail Garden snail Cornu aspersum

N 67 B 712 C 15 E Oct 29, 2023 F May 16, 2024
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Perhaps she thinks I look tasty - at Ashaig, Isle of Skye

Tags:   Scotland Skye landscape Ashaig cow

N 54 B 809 C 37 E May 11, 2024 F May 14, 2024
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

On the descent of Beinn na Cro on the Isle of Skye, I happened to turn around to see how far we had come - and was amazed by this fabulous cloud arching in the sky. Desperately seeking a foreground, but the slopes of Beinn na Cro are devoid of anything useful, so had to settle for the path we had just come down (and was reminded of an old Led Zeppelin song). It was easily one of the best skies I have seen here, shot as a three-shot pano that really doesn't do the cloud justice.

Tags:   Scotland Skye landscape panorama monochrome black and white mountain Beinn na Cro cloud aoi bestcapturesaoi

N 94 B 1.2K C 84 E May 5, 2024 F May 13, 2024
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

The end of the road in Glen Etive.

Our trip over to Glencoe was to be a distraction from the recent loss of our dog Ceilidh - this image certainly reflects the mood we were feeling.

Tags:   Scotland Highlands Glen Etive panorama long exposure dreich aoi bestcapturesaoi elitegalleryaoi


0.4%