Fluidr
about   tools   help   Y   Q   a         b   n   l
User / Surfchild. / Sets / Cornish Chapels and Churches
jo / 343 items

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Official site:

www.achurchnearyou.com/mount-hawke-st-john-the-baptist/

With the Methodist Chapel on the right, turn left and follow Rodda’s Road past the pub and the school and out of the village. Turn right and right again competing a triangle around the village. The Parish church is found on the left just after the right turn to Highfield Road.
The church of Mount Hawke was built as a chapel of ease in 1846. Before this, the inhabitants had used a small building in a field at the bottom of the village.
It was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter on 5th August 1878

The Church is built of local stone in the Perpendicular style.It consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and a bell turret containing one bell. The Church is still active in the community, working closely with the local Methodist Church.


1. The Churches of Britain and Ireland site

2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hawke

3. www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/MountHawke

4. www.visitoruk.com/Camborne-Redruth/mount-hawke-C592-V6514...


Tags:   100 x: The 2016 Edition 100x:2016 Image 1/100 cornish chapels and churches st john the baptist mount hawke cornwall

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Official site: mounthawkemethodists.vpweb.co.uk/Home.html

From Mingoose, head up to Towan Cross, then turn left and then taking the right turn (Banns Road) past Mt Hawke Cricket Club and up into the village. As you come into the centre of the village the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the right.
It was built in 1841 although an 1820 document relates to land for building a methodist meeting house in the village, possible on the same site
The Chapel was renovated in 1905 and again in 1991. In 1932 the chapel became Mount Hawke Methodist Church.Was part of St Agnes Wesleyan Circuit, then North Cornwall Mission, from 1932 St Agnes and Perranporth Methodist Circuit.
The Chapel is marked on 1880 Maps and is still in use today although serves the community more as a community meeting place and activities centre. A preschool runs at the back.


1. www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/172506/50500/12/100115

2. sites.google.com/site/swchurches/

3. www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/MountHawke

4. kresenkernow.org/SOAP/search/RelatedNameCode.keyword/CRO|...

in comments is an interior shot I took in 2012

Tags:   mount hawke methodist Cornwall cornish churches and chapels 100 x: The 2016 Edition 100x:2016 Image 2/100 mount hawke

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Official Site: methodist121.org.uk/chapels/porthtowan/

Leaving Porthtowan village, turn right and carry on up to Chapel Hill. The Chapel can be found on the left about a third of the way up the hill.
Methodists have worshipped on or near this site since 1796, when a small group met in a cottage or under a cherry tree in the garden. The first little chapel was built in 1820 and is now a meeting room attached to a modern purpose built building that was opened in 1980. Early maps show the second chapel (see later) with the older chapel being the Sunday school.
In this picture the front smaller building is the old chapel with the newer building at the back. The Local Methodist Church is still going strong, known as The Chapel on the Hill.
A picture of the old chapel can be seen on line, looking up Chapel Hill (references) and also in the picture of the second chapel (see next).
Foolish Dick (Hampton) was a founder member of the church and self-appointed preacher around Cornwall and into Devon. A simpleton, who found a gift for preaching, was born in a cottage just below the chapel.


1. www.facebook.com/Porthtowan-and-Towan-Cross-book-53800031...


2. kresenkernow.org/SOAP/search/RelatedNameCode.keyword/CRO|...


Tags:   100 themed shots Cornwall cornish churches and chapels porthtowan chapel on the hill 100 x: The 2016 Edition 100x:2016 Image 4/100

  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • MAP
  • O
  • L
  • M

Official Site: methodist121.org.uk/chapels/mawla/

Clearly seen by the side of the only road through the village. The chapel was built in 1908 with the foundation stone being laid by Mr George Simmons, a local preacher. The chapel seats about 120 people. The Simmons were the local family in the village which was mostly farm and farm cottages.
Mawla’s centenary was in 2008. During the year building works started and the long awaited community hall was opened in September 2008
There was an old chapel /sunday school which was pulled down in 1960, and a new sunday school built which was sold in 2008 (see previous) to build a new community hall at the back of the chapel.
The church continues to be very active in the community
Old pictures of the chapel and laying of the foundation stone can be found on line


1. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawla,_Cornwall

2. www.facebook.com/538000312962929/photos/a.726827354080223...

3. www.facebook.com/538000312962929/posts/service-to-open-ma...

Tags:   100x:2016 100 x: The 2016 Edition 6/100 100 themed shots cornish chapels and churches Mawla Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Mawla Chapel Mawla Methodist

N 0 B 1.5K C 15 E Jan 24, 2016 F Jan 25, 2016
  • DESCRIPTION
  • COMMENT
  • O
  • L
  • M

Travelling on from the Primitive Methodist Chapel, the road brings you to the Skinners Bottom Crossroads and the Chapel cannot be missed standing right on the crossroads with a postbox in its wall.
The Chapel was built in 1869. There is a certificate of registration from 1888.
The chapel became Skinner's Bottom Methodist Church in 1932. It was part of Redruth Wesleyan Circuit until 1932, then Redruth Methodist Circuit. It was sold in 1977 and is now a beautifully converted residential property


1. maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=50....

2. kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/b9fe5624-169b-42fb-afd5-a8ce...

3. maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=50....

Tags:   100 themed shots 2016 100x:2016 100 x: The 2016 Edition 7/100 cornish chapels and churches skinners bottom Cornwall Chapel House


1.5%