Machine gun pillbox (for two Maxim heavy machine guns) built north of the road from Drohiczyn to the border of Belarus.
In 1941 this vital road, which goes parallel to the Bug River, was the only communication line leading east into the Soviet territory. Its capture was vital for the success of the initial German operation in the area.
Despite the resistance from some isolated pillboxes the advance of the Germans was lightning fast and the sacrifice of their defenders did not influence the overall situation in the opening hours of German-Soviet war.
This photo is Best on black at Fluidr