Bagden Quarry was established by Henry Heys Junior in 1885 to make flagstones from Upper Haslingden Flag beds at a shallow depth. The workings at 1150 ft up on the moors between Rochdale and Rossendale. Finished stone was taken to the main line railway at Broadley Stone Sidings by a 3ft gauge locomotive hauled tramway and a long inclined plane. Production did not last long and the quarry is shown as disused on the 1892 OS map. Today there are still extensive remains in the quarry including stacks of finished flags abandoned at closure.
A stitch of three images in Photoshop.
Tags: disused derelict abandoned flagstone quarry industry bagden whitworth lancashire
Although Denton Colliery closed in 1929 the colliery offices have survived in use for a monumental mason's business. The main drawing shaft was situated behind here where a mound can just be glimpsed on the photograph.
Beyer Garratt NG143 takes water at Caernarfon before heading the last train of the day back to Porthmadog. These ex South African locomotives seem to be ideal for this line and easily handle the trains.
Tags: steam railway locomotive water tank caernarfon gwynedd wales welsh highland railway