Part of the former arms- and ammunition plant of the Defence Line of Amsterdam. This Defence Line ('Stelling van Amsterdam' in Dutch) is a 135 km long circular defence at 15-20 km around the capital Amsterdam which was built by the Ministry of War mostly between about 1881 and 1914.
During the First World War 8.500 people earned a living here (at the cost of the life of others). After the world wars the factory also produced a.o. car parts, agricultural machines and lathe's. The trees are planted in case of an accident and shockwaves. The factory closed in 2003. The factory grounds are still strictly forbidden to enter without special permission. Most buildings here are industrial monuments now. Today an art gallery is established in the former factory office in the foreground.