The old Penarth Head Inn haunt of smugglers and ancient mariners, the site is now occupied by the Custom House which was built in 1865.
Tags: Cardiff Bay Penarth Old Photo's Docks Pier Ben Salter
© All Rights Reserved
A view up towards the Bute East Dock
An aerial view of the River Ely and Penarth docks in the late 50's. Tall ships Pamir and Passat can be seen in the docks. And in the foreground the last working coal staithes in the Ely harbour.
At the mouth of the Subway under construction, which opened in 1900 and closed in 1963. Although still passable until about 1971.
A workman poses for the camera from within the Greathead Shield used to construct the subway under the Ely.